Monday, October 13, 2008

Packaging Matters

I fell asleep, my window open
I wrapped the lavendar hand knit blanket my mam-maw made around me
I buried myself

I opened my eyes to cold October air
as cold as I was awake
coldness opened my eyes

At the coffee shop I noticed
Beautifully wrapped sugar colored witch lollipops
Halloween coffins with edible skeletons inside
all this American packaging felt like my mam-maw's blanket
something I know

I noticed the books I designed
how different it was twenty years ago
how you could slap headlines on with glue
a little crooked
glue individual letters, spaced a little uneven
Now, my programs were mathematically precise

I noticed how perfect the witch was,
bright sugar enameled details on her clothes,
little pink buttons
green eyes
glaring purple hat
sharp, crisp, clear
even in sugar you could see
how important it is to look purrrfeccctttt...
is this only an Americanism?

No comments: