Thursday, October 2, 2008

Genealogy

I heard her smooth southern Oklahoma voice over the phone,
we discussed copyrights and genealogy,
her new book,
we talked about civil war accroutements,
"I have found," she said,
"that most families can trace their family history back to the civil war..."
"Yes," I intoned, seeing my great grandfather's hands
opening the old family wooden box...
old pictures,
hand written notes slowly falling apart
how he traced his family back to the signing of the Constitution
energetic discussion, endless discussion,
how big their minds must have been,
I wish I had time for hours of endless discussion...
My day is so busy, there is so little time,
I envy them and their grand ideas
I watch the dust fall off the old photographs,
and think of preservation
how long ago wasn't that far away
and how what we do now will change everything

No comments: